Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Why does my new battery in my 2008 Lexus ES 350 deplete so

Customer Question

Why does my new battery in my 2008 Lexus ES 350 deplete so fast? I don't drive this vehicle much
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Assuming you have the right battery, with the recommended Cold Cranking Amperage rating, the main problem here is not driving it. If you do not run the car sufficiently, the battery will run down. This is a problem,m we have on the new and used car lots at the dealership. The cars sit for weeks, andf the batteries go dead. The root cause here is when you turn the car 'off', there are certain things that are still 'on'. For example: all of the radio preset stations (even if you do not have any preset) need to be kept stored. This is connected to the battery. This is how the radio 'remembers' your preset stations. Next, the clock. It too is connected to the battery and it requires power to run and maintain the proper time. Next, we have the computer for the engine. It too is connected to the battery where certain parameters are stored for the next start up. Additionally, the car's computer also monitors certain things (barometric pressure for one) to assist with the next start. These two items here are programmed to reduce emissions when the car is started. Finally, if you have a garage door button, and it is programmed to your garage, this too is a drain because it has to remember the garage door opener frequency....So, in reality, when the car is off, you always have a small drain on the battery. The more the battery sits idel (not started and driven), the battery surface charge is reduced. Eventually, the battery voltage drops below 10.5 volts DC and the car needs a jump to start it. The best recommendation I can give you here would be to start it up and, if possible, drive it more. Letting this car sit for a week or two at any given time period can and will cause the battery to drain. These things that I have described are normal (what we call "parasitic") drains on the battery and the only way to stop the drain is to remove the battery negative cable. (which it a real pain to have to reconnect when you need the car). If you have any questions, I will be happy to address any concerns you may have. If you do not have any questions, a positive rating for my input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and thank you for choosing Just Answer.