Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Check hybrid system warning, check vsc system warning, no

Customer Question

check hybrid system warning, check vsc system warning, no start, had inverter replaced on 06 rx400h as result of the recall. car towed to dealer today, now what? 160k mi, original owner, well maintained. garage kept.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be a fault with the hybrid battery itself.I have seen the battery fail in several cases before with the battery itself needing replaced to correct this issue here.The hybrid battery will need tested to verify it is the cause as well as the fault codes checked/read out of all computers to see what codes are set which will help pinpoint and repair the cause here.I suspect you may need a new battery.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks pete, my name is ***** ***** lexus called and one of the codes was p08888 or similar which indicated possible water intrusion. i have not been in any accidents, the sunroof is not leaking, and if it is a water issue i have no idea how the intrusion may have occurred. they are going to take the back seat out tomorrow and check the compartment. right now they are thinking it might be a relay rather than the battery. in your experience, how long do the hybrid batteries last? again this is an 06 rx400h and i have had zero problems with it also have had the inverter replaced as result of a recall a few years ago and they dont think that is the issue. what would you guess new batteries cost if that is the problem ie they need replacing? i have seen horror stories on the blogs about failed inverters resulting in a $9000 bill. cannot imagine new batteries would cost that much. but after all, they are nine years old. thanks in advance, pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

In some cases the battery can last 10 to 15 years or even more.Its about like any other battery though to where it can fail suddenly for no reason.It is possible this is just a relay fault or another electrical component tied into the Hybrid system.Once they do their testing and checking they should be able to pinpoint the fault for sure.

In some cases if one of the windows leaks during a rain storm due to a poor seal or if the ac system isn't draining its moisture build up properly this can sometimes lead to water intrusion into the vehicle damaging electronics that would need replaced.If they do find any kind of water damage ask them how it got there as it may be something covered under warranty.

Looking at the info I have on this here the factory price for this battery is $5339.13.The dealer may offer a discount in some cases or may hike the price up slightly to make a profit off of it.Labor to install the battery is 3 hours charge.

Thanks Pete