Roger, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician
88470418

The passenger window on my 2007 GX went down, but will not

Customer Question

The passenger window on my 2007 GX went down, but will not go back up, . . . using either the passenger switch or the driver switch. It makes no sound.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd be happy to help! First, have you checked any fuses? There is a 20 amp fuse in the passenger compartment should be labeled FR P/W according to my wiring diagram. That fuse supplies power to the passenger front window.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked the fuses. #17, #18 and #19 all "look" fine. I can't get them out. I also checked #24. The only window that works is my driver window. The moonroof doesn't work either, . . . which is why I checked #24. I know #24 is okay since the telescopic steering works unless I take #24 out.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok, so it's not just the passenger window that is not working. Give me a few minutes to study the wiring diagram and see what I can come up with. Do you have access to a multimeter or 12 volt test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just pulled #17, #18 and #19 and they're fine. Sorry. I don't have access to a multimeter or a 12 volt test light. It's embarrassing because I'm an electrical engineer!
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

It's ok, there's been plenty of times when I've needed tools that didn't have and I'm a technician so I understand that! I've been going over this diagram and doing research and reading repair information. Unfortunately the only thing my information gives me is ways to check it with a scan tool because it's partially controlled via the BCM, so from what I can see you won't be able to test much without pulling codes for the windows. However there is a TSB on the moon roof, and it's a separate circuit from the windows so I believe it is likely unrelated to each other. Does the moon roof make any noise at all or is it similar to the windows in not making noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing makes any noise (e.g., clicking). Since it's a Friday, I'm going to take it into Lexus. Thanks for trying to help.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

That's no problem at all, I'm sorry there's nothing in this case I could do. Don't give a negative rating please, but if you've paid something contact customer service and they can refund anything you've paid. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to give you some feedback. I took it to the Lexus dealership and they ended up "resetting" the system and now it works. Thanks for your help this morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BTW, the system won't let me submit a rating for you.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok good, it may have had a code in the bcm preventing operation, that's the down side to the way a lot of them are designed now, if you don't have access to diagnostic equipment you can't thoroughly check everything like you used to. I'm happy to hear that it wasn't anything else wrong though, that's good news. The rating was my fault it should give you the option now.