Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have a 2007 GS350 (Lexus). It has 147k miles. I've always

Customer Question

I have a 2007 GS350 (Lexus). It has 147k miles. I've always taken it to the dealer for oil change and maintenance every 5k miles. Traveling 55 mph, the car made a grinding noise, the car died and the check engine light came on. Car would not restart. 2 weeks later dealer says a valve may have come loose and te engine blocks have to be replaced and the repair could run $15k. I think I'm being screwed. What do you think?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. In a word, yes. I believe you are being mishandled by the dealer 15,000 dollars? That is simply ridiculous. On an 8 year old car with this mileage, if this car was in my shop, I would never estimate such a huge number. That is obviously for a completely new engine or they simply want you to go away so they don't have to fool with it. Again, if this vehicle was in my shop, I would be recommending a good used engine from the secondary auto market (auto recyclers). This would cost far less than 15,000 dollars. I am simply astonished at that estimate.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer