Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

I have a 2007 ls460 it won't start. The vsc warning comes on

Customer Question

I have a 2007 ls460 it won't start. The vsc warning comes on and there is a clicking noise near the right front tire.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Are all the standard warning lights coming on? Will the windows work? Does the light in the start button turn green? Do you have access to a code reader?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Do the lights on the display in the instrument panel in general Flicker to the same rate or frequency as the clicking noise under the hood?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Is there any chance you can get an audio clip on your cell phone and post it here of the clicking noise that your hearing out by the right side of the vehicle? Do you have a set of jumper cables or have you tried to get a jumpstart to confirm that the battery is low on current?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The audio clip isn't loud enogh. I will try to jump it but I have to get jumper cables at the store.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Based on the information that you have provided this far and the clicking noise it sounds like the battery is not strong enough to keep the starter solenoid engaged and this causes the rapid clicking noise typically though this will cause the lights in the instrument panel to Flicker depending on how low the battery charge is. When you get the jumper cables make sure that you install them correctly or this will compound your problems dramatically. Red goes to positive black the negative and so on on both vehicles. Let me know how it goes after jump start but there's about 80% probability that this will get it going. The fact that the light in the start button is turning green is a good sign that means everything is communicating there's just not enough power to engage the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a new battery in and it still has the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a rapid click noise it is a single click and then the instrument panel shows VSC system warning..
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me a pic of the instrument panel before and after the start attempt or even better yet a short video clip of starting the car so I can see what is going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was just towed to the lexus dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't know if you were going to respond. You responded immediately this morning.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The last reply I had from you was at 1:24 then 6:34 this evening but I was off line until now. Let me know how it goes of if you need a second opinion after the dealer calls you with what is going on.

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

I will be off line shortly but will be back on in the morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are your hours?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

I monitor most of the day 8 to 5 EST then back on in the evenings depending on how fried my brain is ;-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Lexus dealer says it is the starter and want $1700
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

At this point we have to assume that they made the proper diagnosis. Unfortunately the starter of this vehicle is buried. It is under the exhaust manifold and if you have the four-wheel-drive version which most of them are as I recall in 07 exhaust has to be removed the manifold has to be remove part of the suspension has to be removed just to get to the starter my guess is they're probably quoting you five or six hours in labor at least. Depending on your labor rate they probably have it as high as 10 hours plus the starter unfortunately this is not an easy job.