AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

How to replace a hood latch on a 2009 Lexus ES350

Customer Question

Category: Lexus
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

While pulling on the hood release cable, use a screw driver and unlatch the hood release. Have done it lots of times. It works. Is that what you have tried doing? If so and you would like the removal procedure, I can provide it to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ye I tried that but maybe it is jammed since I slammed the hood on it. Maybe I need to try harder? Is the hood lath cable secured on the latch end with a set screw?

It may be jammed down. If it won't come unlatched, you may have to put quite a bit of effort into it. Hopefully it did not get damaged. If you would like to remove the hood lock assembly, it looks like you will need to remove the front bumper cover to access the 2 bolts and 1 nut that secure it to the car.

I would look inside and make sure that when the cable is pulled, that it actually pulls the lever in the hood release mechanism back. When it does, try pushing down and pulling up with a screw driver to get it unlatched. If you are unsuccessful I can provide the front bumper cover removal procedure