Greg
Greg, Import tech
Experience:  17 year shop owner
29331485

The mechanic replaced the front accumulators suspension on

Customer Question

Hi, the mechanic replaced the front accumulators for the suspension on my LX470. The SUV now won't go up higher than the N setting. It will lower to L and raise to N, but when going to H it will raise the rear, try to raise the front, the front won't completely raise and it will go automatically down to N. The front was bled. The rear wasn't.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi .

Check for malfunction codes

You now need to reset the system with the Scan tool in suspension systems .

The height control sensors may need adjusting .

Fluid level to low .most common issue for your problem .

Accumulator solenoid malfunction .

System may need bleeding again.

Please get back if this has been checked..

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.

IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more",
please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think any if these are the solution. Here's a more detailed explanation: I can see that the front does NOT raise fully to the H level: Complete process: I hit the Raise button, the H light starts to blink showing that it is raising, the rear starts to raise first and raises completely, then the front starts and it raises a little, but not enough. After a few seconds of not rising enough (about 20 seconds) the sensors notice it, the N light blinks, both front and read lower to the N level again, the N stays solid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think any if these are the solution. Here's a more detailed explanation: I can see that the front does NOT raise fully to the H level: Complete process: I hit the Raise button, the H light starts to blink showing that it is raising, the rear starts to raise first and raises completely, then the front starts and it raises a little, but not enough. After a few seconds of not rising enough (about 20 seconds) the sensors notice it, the N light blinks, both front and rear lower to the N level again, the N stays solid.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you .

Okay its going into default position. you need to check for malfunction codes as said this is the only way to check.

Do you have the tools to check for this ?

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the tools, but I'm not the mechanic. I'm the ownerI noticed that the level is over the Max, but not topped off (pic included). Could that be an issue? Should I bleed all four shocks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mechanic has the scanner. I'm on my way there. Anything that he should look for?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Level is to high but should be okay and not be the problem .

If he has the correct scan tool to check the system then he will see all that is needed to check .

Any issue let me know .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The scanner shows no errors. Where's the reset in the scanner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing to reset because there are no errors.
I'm sending a pic of the sensor height measurements to see if you notice anything odd. The pics are LO, N and attempting HI.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Did you bleed the system .

Sensor data has to be compared with vehicle height.

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bled the system.The sensor data compares with vehicle height (numbers increase as the vehicle rises). I sent you the screenshots to see if you can notice anything out of the ordinary. All streaming data from the vehicle looked perfect and there weren't any errors.Anything else that I may try???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean, yes we bled it again. This time in all four shocks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A mechanic suggested that I replace the accumulators. I'm going to order them and try that if you don't have any other ideas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mentioned that the height control sensors may need adjusting. Question: How are the height control sensors adjusted?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Will get back to you today when i get into work and check the manual for you .

Why did you replace the front Accumulators ,for this same problem .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ride on the vehicle had become very rigid. I had read that replacing the accumulators would fix that, and it did. It made a heck of a difference. Now the front suspensions is as it should be. The rear feels more rigid than the front now. (The from felt very rigid before replacing them).
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay good this is correct, when the suspension get rock hard the Accumulators are bad and is normal to replace all four then bleed the system, expensive item i know but better to replace all four as the membrane inside collapse..

But as said will get back to you later on in the day with more information .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Have you made any headway ..

Attached is the suspension height settings .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No headway. My next step is to order the rear accumulators, install them and see if that fixes the issue.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay good .

Please keep me updated .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It'll be a couple of weeks until I receive them, but I will update you. Thank you
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

No problem .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me ask you: I noticed that the height indicated on the pics I sent you were different for the rear and front heights on LO and N. However the vehicle adjusted front and rear heights automatically perfectly and without any issues. QUESTION: Does it matter that the height shown by the sensors is different?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

This is why i sent you the height adjustment ,

But if before thw accumulator failed it was working, then should still be good.

The different measurement are because the ride height is not completing it travel .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the first two pics (LO and N) were taken with the vehicle stable and level. And in these pics the ride heights on the screen are very different for front and rear even though the vehicle is perfectly flat.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Way out you will need to check and adjust the front as shown in the adjustment sheets i sent .

Strange that this should happen ,get the mechanic to recheck this on firm level ground and must make sure all tires are the same and

with the same air pressure .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is, why would it work for LO and N if it is not reading correctly?Also, when going into H I can see that the front is moving up, but slowly and the system goes back into N before the front reaches the correct height. I wonder why that happens.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Its going into default as something is stopping it going into H due to the system thinking its going to high .

Recheck for codes .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The parts I ordered (the rear accumulators) were installed and it fixed the problem right away. I thank you for your effort, but none of your suggestions was the cause of the problem. Keep the solution in mind in case you run into a similar issue.