Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

Can you tell me what is needed to fix an secondary air

Customer Question

Customer: can you tell me what is needed to fix an secondary air injection pump on an '05 ***** ***** GX 470?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I received a P2445 code which says that the secondary air injection pump is stuck 'off.'
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait. But, I need specific parts, quantities, and OEM part numbers. Can you help with that?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

The automated chat service has forwarded your inquiry over to me. I'm a 35 year Toyota/Lexus expert. If you clear this code and drive the vehicle does the same exact code come back? How many miles are on the vehicle? Do you have the vehicle identification number available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Code was cleared this morning and hasn't returned after driving for 10 miles. The vehicle has 124k miles on the odometer and the VIN is #JTJBT20X250095285
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Standby

Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Upon further investigation into the vehicle identification number there are no outstanding customer support programs or technical service bulletins for this particular vehicle on this or pump issue. The code number that you're getting indicates that there is not enough air pressure in the system when the pump was commanded to activate to pump air into the exhaust for bank one which is the driver-side bank. Most of the time this ends up being a bad pump. The air pump is located under the intake manifold. That is a fairly large job to replace the air pump. You need to run diagnostic electrical tests on the pump and the driver to make sure that the pump functions. There's a driver module located on the left inner fender that has two large gauge wires if you apply power and ground to those two large gauge wires with the connector disconnected you should hear the pump run. If you do not there's a good chance of the pump has failed. In some cases it will damage the driver module itself. If you want to get into step-by-step electrical diagnostics and had a good voltmeter and reasonable knowledge of how to use it I could do that but the format here is a little difficult I could do a phone consultation if you would like. That comes at an additional cost I will submit that offer you can use that at any time. Click the attachment I've supplied it will show you an overview picture and the highlighted yellow pump the diverter valve are also known to Stick and fail. Please do not forget to rate the information that I provided you at three or higher and any bonus is greatly appreciated. If you need additional questions answered feel free to reply and I will get back to you.