Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

You had helped me last year with a problem on the gas

Customer Question

You had helped me last year with a problem on the gas running out too early on my IS250. I continued to have the problem and had it die on the interstate *again* at 65MPH, and was fortunate enough to be able to exit and coast to a safe spot. I took it
in and demanded it be fixed, and they have added a component to the fuel system they said will keep it from running out too soon, give a more accurate gas level reading, and also keep the engine from any misfires I may have heard. I just wanted your expert
opinion on if what they did will solve the problem, once and for all. I have an extended warranty, with about 8,000 miles left and / or six months, and I want this to be completed correctly this time, as my local mechanic said the code listed would never go
away, only get worse with time, and that I needed to get it done while the warranty was still in effect. When I picked the car up, the low gas light was on, but I attributed this to it not being reset. When I got on the highway, I looked again and noticed
the tank was showing *way* below empty, and checked the "miles to empty" and it was on zero. I did get to a gas station, and put in 14.4 gallons of gas. The manual says this tank holds 17.2 gallons. My first impression is the gauge is now too far the other
direction. This is *not* a rush, but I know you answered me last time and I can access our past conversations. Just wanted to go through this and you ask me questions and see if we can determine that the problem has been fixed correctly or not, and whether
I can quit worrying about it. Thanks!
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

What will cause this here is usually either the fuel level sensor at the fuel tank itself needing replaced or the fuel gauge itself on the dash.I have seen both cause this type of fault here needing replaced.With the gauge reading to far when the fuel was put in this sounds more like the gauge itself in the instrument cluster is the cause with the cluster needing removed and repaired or removed and replaced.If this fault continues this needs tested further and possibly by a different repair facility to see what they come up with on this here.I have seen the gauge itself as the most common with what you have described here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have given you a more detailed synopsis before I sent this to you , but I wanted to get the process started. I want to give you additional information and see if this will change your opinion of what happened.Originally what happened was Memorial Day weekend 2013, about two months after I purchased the car as a Certified Lexus dealer. I was on a rather lengthy road trip and apparently got some bad gas on the trip. Soon after I filled the tank, the engine lost power, gas mileage dropped dramatically, and the car eventually stopped after about 30 miles. I was able to get it started and, to my luck , there was actually an Auto Zone open on my route on Memorial Day.When I was there, they called a Toyota dealership about 50 miles away and the service adviser there recommended stopping every 30-40 miles and putting gas in to dilute the bad gas. This did work, as the engine got incrementally better as the good gas replaced the bad gas. I was able to complete the last four hours of my trip back to Houston.I took the car to the Lexus dealership near me in Houston (not the one I bought the car , it was in San Antonio). At that time, I assumed it was bad gas, but there was no proof. I had called the gas station, but they said there were no reports of bad gas.The dealership said they could find nothing wrong with the car. The code that came up was P0087, which (as my local mechanic kindly provided me with his opinion and help) was listed as "Fuel System Pressure Too Low". He did advise me to treat the problem as if it was bad gas, and to do all the work necessary to clean the system. He removed the fuel tank, cleaned it, cleaned the fuel lines, removed and replaced the fuel injector O ring set, removed and replaced the fuel filter, and replaced the tank.Shortly thereafter, I did receive contact from the owner of the gas station, who informed me that there was, indeed, bad gas in their fuel supply. They then reimbursed me for the work done on on the fuel system.The car seemed to be running fine, until a month or so later, the car died going about 70MPH on a four lane highway. I managed to exit, and get to the frontage road and out of traffic. I had the car towed to Lexus. They went through the entire process again, and said there was nothing they could find.There was also a recall for the Lexus IS250 for my year, but not my VIN number, for a gasket problem. They did start to take the engine apart to see if the car had the problem, but were never able to complete it, as they said they were waiting on an adviser from the Dallas office to come down to examine the car. After about a week, I told them I needed the car back if they weren't going to finish with it.Over the next two years, I experienced the car stopping and running out of gas on several occasions.Twice there was knocking from the engine, but since I had no luck with the dealership exploring and fixing the problems, I didn't take it back in. Basically, when the Low Gas light came on, it would run out pretty quickly. Sometimes when it said it still had 20 miles or more left in the tank. Usually when I did fill it up with gas, I would put about 14.5 gallons of gas in it, which didn't seem right since the manual said the tank held 17.2 gallons.I just decided to fill up as soon as possible after the Low Gas light came on. I knew there was a problem, but figured I would get the same runaround as before if I took it in.Finally , it ran out again on a four lane highway going about 65MPH with no notice. The Low Gas light did NOT come on, and I actually had just checked the remaining gas mode on the car and it said 44 miles to empty, when it died. Same as before, I got pretty lucky and was able to coast to an exit and get to the frontage road and park. I walked and bought a gas can and put gas in and it started up after a few seconds.As my extended warranty was a few months from the end, I decided to take the car back to Lexus and demand that the problem be fixed.They noted the previous P0087 engine code, along with a P0300 engine code, indicating a random misfire, which they said was due to the injector not having any fuel.From the final invoice, this is what is typed,"TISB L-SB--0007-12. SOP Combo Meter assy. R&R Combination meter and fuel level senders/ OPC EL9044 Updated PN 83800-53864".In addition, it said any engine clatter would be caused by low fuel.I realize this is long, but this has been an ongoing problem, and I want to know that it's fixed, and not have it come up again after the warranty has run out. It's difficult to tell if the gas mileage has improved, as I haven't driven a long drive and only am about to fill up tomorrow for the second time. The Low Gas light came on last night and it showed 34 miles to empty. The gauge reads right at 1/8 of a tank.Just wondered if there is anything else in this info I have written that will cause you to provide any additional input. Thank you!
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I don't see that the fuel pump was ever replaced unless it was replaced when they replaced the fuel tank or the fuel level sender.If the fuel level sender was never replaced as well as the fuel pump this needs replaced.It sounds like the pump is creating low pressure intermittently which can be common.If this was already replaced let me know.

Thanks Pete