sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2002 ES300. Driver door is jammed closed. The door

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ES300. Driver door is jammed closed. The door will lock and unlock but won't open. I cut the panel and can get to the actuator. Using the inside or outside handles will move the lever on the side of the actuator but the latch will not release. Any ideas?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

If the linkage is moving when you move the handles then the issue is going to be with the latch itself. The striker or door being misadjusted or something foreign being closed in the door could cause it to be very hard to reopen but these things would have been apparent so I'm assuming neither is the case. If not then the issue is the latch. What will need to be done is break up/dismantle the latch until the pawl can be reached to rotate it manually and open the door, and then replace the latch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a replacement actuator. Should I dismantle the one in there and, if so, what's the best way to do that?

You have a replacement latch, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Isn't that built into the actuator? Or is the latch attached to the door frame? I don't have that part.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The actuator does include the latch.

The power lock actuator is an integral part of the door latch. The original latch needs to be broken up until the pawl can be reached, rotated manually to open the door and then the latch can be replaced. You can use any methods you have available - drill, grinder/cutoff wheel, etc.