Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years working as an ASE certified tech.
7276279

2008 Lexus IS250 there is no electrical power. There is no

Customer Question

2008 Lexus IS250 there is no electrical power. There is no power to dome lights, hit unlock on remote nothing only remote lights up red light, no power on dashboard, absolutely no power anywhere. I did test battery with multimeter it shows 12.65 and I tried another battery from a working car same issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

All power to the car comes from the battery to the under hood fuse panel starting with the engine fuse (60 amp) can you check it and see if you have power to it and out of it and post back with the results and we can work from there.

See the link for all the fuse that should have power in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Power%20dist%20Sept%2016.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron,I looked at your diagram but I don't really understand it.
I took this picture it's fuse box right below battery passenger side. I checked all the little fuses you can pull out but the larger block ones I don't know how to pull it out or check them?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi9yx0xyvlnvp5r/20150915_192250.jpg?dl=0
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Where you able to take a 12 volt test light and or volt meter and check them to see if you have power to them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a 12 volt test light I will check on Amazon to see if it's something handy I should have around.
On top of each fuse you can see two little contacts I've checked each one also pulled them out for visual inspection. They all test okay.
There's a big one fusible link? I checked it for continuity tapped far left and far right side and it's also okay.
Those larger amp fuses how do I check them? Can't seem to pull them out?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You can get a 12 volt test light at most any auto part store for about $10.00 , you do not have to pull any fuses to check them, turn the key on and place the test probe on each side of the fuses on the small metal tab, the light should light on both sides if the fuse is okay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will pickup one from an auto part store after work.
I have no power though? If I hit the start/stop ignition switch it doesn't do anything. There's no power to hazard lights, dome lights, door, horn nothing. You open door nothing lights up.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

In order to determine why you have no power we need to start with checking to see if the fuse panel is dead in order to have a starting point to trace the power distribution circuit. Also make sure the battery does have power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was only checking to see if fuses were blown not for power. I will get a 12 volt light tester.Yes battery has 12.6 or 12.65 I even tried another battery from a working car did not work.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The best way to test the fuse is to use a test light. They can often look okay but that not be the case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased a 12V light tester and also found owner's manual. This vehicle has 4 fuse boxes! Engine compartment (type A) right underneath battery passenger side, engine compartment (type B) driver side, inside vehicle driver's side instrument panel fuse box and passenger's side instrument panel fuse box.All of the fuses light up with 12V light tester except for fuse #9 ACC 7.5A this is what manual says circuit is for: Lexus link system, clock, air conditioning system, audio, display, outside rear view mirrors, smart access system with push-button start.
I've also attached owner's manual screenshot of in vehicle passenger side fuse box. Also fuse #10 cigarette lighter 15A and #11 power outlet 15A doesn't light up. I'm assuming #10 & #11 not lighting up that's normal since there's no power to vehicle.On driver's side fuse box inside vehicle #11 RR FOG 7.5A doesn't light up but that fuse doesn't sound important rear fog maybe?The fuses that didn't light up I did double check them also switched from other ones that light up.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

So when you say there is not power to the car are you saying everything is dead in the car ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dead isn't it weird? Horn, hazard lights, brake lights, dashboard, radio, A/C, circle light ring around engine start stop has no light.
After watching a few YouTube videos I need to 12 volt light test each fuse again. I need to touch each contact on fuse, I only tapped one side.Am I supposed to have current through ACC fuse or only when I open door or hit engine start stop switch?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes you need to test both sides of the fuses to make sure you have power on both, starting with the ones in the under hood panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under the hood all fuses below battery light up. Driver side under hood only H-LP R LWR 15A & H-LP L LWR 15A don't light up. Maybe car needs to be on for those to light up?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes you should have the key in the on position to check all the fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no physical key only a key fob. Also I have no power when I hit engine start stop button/switch. I can put into on position because there is no power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't put into on position hit button doesnt do anything.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Do you have power in and out of the 60 AMP engine fuse in the under hood fuse panel, thats the one I wanted you to check yesterday.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That 60 AMP is part of fusible link correct? Big rectangular one yes that one has power.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The wiring diagram is showing it as a fuse. (60 amp) which is located in the under hood panel.

See the fuse diagram again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've provided picture of fuse with cover diagram in one picture please look at it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bi9yx0xyvlnvp5r/20150915_192250.jpg?dl=0Also I asked my sister if she heard anything unusual when this first happened. She said when she hit engine start stop button something short circuited and it never started engine all lights went out.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The engine B/b fuse (60 amp) is the one that you need to check for starters as well as all the other with the key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you've asked me to check fuses with key on like 3 times already. Like I've said so many times there is no power when I hit engine start stop button. There is no power to hazard lights, dome lights, dashboard nothing car is dead inside vehicle electric wise. Have you looked at my picture i took with fuse cover?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay I'm trying to help you find out where you have lost power and power starts to the complete system at the fuses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the fuses have power except for the one inside vehicle passenger side fusebox #9 ACC.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Well unfortunately I'm afraid I have done all I can from here so I am going to relist the question for you in hopes someone else can give you some new things to check. Sometimes this type of problem requires hands on testing and can not be repaired on line. I'm going to open the question back up for you and if someone can help you, they will respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks for all your help I do appreciate the fast responses.