Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

2011 LS460, 45000 miles. Car is garaged. Open driver side

Customer Question

2011 LS460, 45000 miles. Car is garaged. Open driver side door in the morning (or after work) and sit down. A loud sharp sound occurs (like you hit a rear control arm with a small hammer) just as I sit down. Sounds like coming from left rear suspension/brake area. Dealer has yet to reproduce problem. It only occurs after car has been sitting for a few hours, and only once. They suspect auto parking brake mechanism but have yet to hear the sound. They checked all suspension/suspension bushings. Very annoying. You only get one chance to make the noise after which the noise will not occur for several hours.
Also heard the sound while taking 20 pound package from trunk. Also heard it when I pushed on rear bumper with knee.
But only once. Won't repeat.
Whew, too many words.
Thank you.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Based on you explanation of the issue, this sounds to me like you either have a broken coil spring or the coil spring is not seated in its proper location inside the strut. I would return the vehicle to your dealer and have them raise the car, remove the rear wheels and inspect the rear springs very closely. ALso have them verify that the rear springs are properly positioned in the retainer on the rear struts.