Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

My 2006Lexus Gs occasionally has problems starting. Each

Customer Question

My 2006Lexus Gs occasionally has problems starting. Each time AAA comes out and gets it started without jumping the car. They state it is a problem with the Factory Security. They get it started by manually locking and unlocking the doors or moving the stick from park-neutral -park and it starts up Lexus never heard of this happening,but each AAA guy says it is common. How do I fix this?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 1 year ago.

When it will not start, with the key in the run position, what is the theft light doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a push button starter The car is dead as when the battery goes But when AAA uses the key fob to manually open and close door lock and then the car starts up

Sorry I do not help customers work on the push button start option as a DIY repair. I will get you back on the list so another can try.

Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Different expert here. This sounds more like a common problem we see quite a bit...I believe you have a faulty park/neutral ("P/N") switch issue. If moving the shifter from park to neutral back to park allows the car to start, the adjustment of the park/neutral switch is off, the shift cable that connects the shifter to the P/N switch is stretched, the retainer that holds the cable to the P/N switch is seized (most common problem we see) or the P/N switch is worn out internally. The recommendation I have for you on this request would be to take the car to a qualified shop where they can inspect the movable fitting at the end of the shift cable; this is located on the transmission. If it is not too bad, they can lubricate it with penetrating oil. If the connection is cracked, the shift cable will need to be replaced.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.

If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations.

A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer