Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

How do I override the steering wheel lock?

Customer Question

Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I don't see a procedure myself on how to disable or over ride the steering lock on this model here.Try cranking and holding the steering wheel hard to one side while trying to turn the key and try the opposite direction as well to see if the key then releases.In some cases you have to crank on the wheel and hold it while jiggling the key to get the lock to release.If this does not work let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that about a dozen times and nothing worked. This has happed before and I remember the solution being much simpler. I just don't remember what it was.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I do not see a procedure myself to manually over ride or actuate the lock here.In some cases this can be due to the ignition cylinder binding/hanging up not releasing as I have used a small amount of lubricant like dry graphite to spray into the lock cylinder key hole then work the key to get it to release.If this has not been attempted I would see if this releases the steering and allows the key to turn.

Thanks Pete