Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

1990 ES300 with 135K, Recurring DTC P0446: I dropped the

Customer Question

1990 ES300 with 135K , Recurring DTC P0446:
I dropped the charcoal canister,purge VSV is fine,, vapor pressure sensor is ok, no disintegrating, no leaks, in the engine compartment both VSV 25860-62010 are fine, , hose at air box is attached, filler cap is fine.I have no clue what to check next.
Do I need to replace the VSV at canister with part# ***** anyway?
Is it rerouting of hoses mandatory, are they available?
ECU has the code in the history, cumulative monitor info is complete and all test results EVAP appear "pass"- vapor leak#1, vapor leak#2, purge VSV, evap pres.VSV.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** the Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) for the pressure sensor (located on the canister) operates correctly. This is a normally closed (N.C.) valve. When energized, it should open. When de-energized, an internal spring should close the valve. If it sticks open, code P0446 will set. This is the most common part to fail, let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.