FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE
1627031

Every car has a life and with that things to be expected to

Customer Question

Every car has a life and with that things to be expected to be replaced over time. I want to know what are the soft spots on a Lexus 2006 IS 250 with 100,000 miles?
I own this car from new and so trying to determine if I should keep? I had the Carbon Piston problem along with the standard tires, battery brake issues.
They recently told me that my axle and axle boots need to be replaced soon which is $3,000 yikes! Maybe I should unload now??? What else should / could I expect???
- Is there a drive chain that needs repacking?
- What Should I expect next?
- How long will air conditioner compressor go?
- Other things to expect If I keep this another 5 years and 50,000 miles?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. From roughly 100,000 to 150,000 miles there are some common failures that I have seen. You will more than likely need to replace the suspension struts and lower control arms at some point for about $1000-1300. The a/c compressor usually does not last much past 100,000 miles. My largest concern is the transmission. I have seen these typically fail at about 120,000-130,000 miles at a large expense. If you add all of these together with what it already needs it does add up. With that being said I have seen these parts last longer and shorter than this so you just really never know for sure. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question
2) Is it mileage, or type of mileage like inner city, or age related that drives the transmission problem?
3) What re the symptons to look for on the Transmission problem?
4) What are the symptons of the struts going?
5) Sound like you personally would make the decison to spend money on a new one versus hanging on to this vehicle?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

On the transmission you will typically start to feel some shift flaring like a rev and then it kicks in or some slippage coming on. For the struts the ride will become a little tougher and noisier or you will start to see uneven wear on the tires. I definitely am not saying to get rid of the car. I personally am a firm believer in holding onto a car if you love it and it you took good care of it as you are the only one that knows how it was maintained. I just wanted to give you a heads up as to the possibilities.