Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Having left on key in the Aux position in my wife's car the

Customer Question

Having left on key in the Aux position in my wife's car the battery has run down. Tried to start with jump start but although panel all lights up no joy. Unfortunately as the NEGATIVE terminal is painted red
!!! and the pastil Red cover on the real positive was missing I have tried to start a couple of times with the battery poles reversed. What horribly damage may I have done ? Would really appreciate your help. Regards, Ian
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. When the battery cables are reversed, there is a very high probability that the reversed current has causes the 80 ot 100 amp ALT fuse to blow. This is the main fuse for the electrical system in the car. If it has failed due to the current reversal, the car will not start. THis fuse is not a traditional fuse ine can replace/ This fuse carries a high amount of power. With that being said, this fuse is bolted to the interior of the fuse panel. Removal of this fuse is difficult for one who is not familiar with the disassembly procedure for the fusebox.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.

Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer