Greg
Greg, Import tech
Experience:  17 year shop owner
29331485

94 ls400 was getting code 47 before timing belt change.

Customer Question

94 ls400 was getting code 47 before timing belt change. Alway ran perfect but stumble with hard/fast acceleration and then would regain normal operation. Now after timing belt change, the car runs perfect for 3-20 minutes and then stumbles and remains running rough stalling with no return to normal operation until it is parked/restarted. Have already replaced/checked sub tps. before timing belt change, only code 41. Now, 41+47+71. Usually means timing prob. but power is perfect for3-10mins
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
94 lexus ls400 was getting code 47 before timing belt change. Alway ran perfect but would stumble with uphill or hard/fast acceleration and then would regain normal operation and continue to operate normally. Now after changing the transmission and the timing belt, the car runs perfect for approximately 5 - 20 minutes and then it stumbles harshly and abruptly and remains running rough stalling with no return to normal operation until it is parked and restarted. I have already replaced/checked calibrated the sub tps. Again, before the timing belt change the only code was 47 (sub tps) (correction from above, it was always code 47). Now after the timing belt change the codes are 41+47+71. Usually this means the timing belt is off by 1 tooth or the ecu needs to be replaced (common on this model), my only concern is that the car runs perfectly for around 5-20 minutes before any driving problem at all will occur and this does not at first sound like timing to me because the power problem should be more immediate. Please advise your thoughts and suggested testings at this point. I do have a extra ecu that i can try. please advise.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
I would check the EGR this sounds like your problem as it looks like its doing this when you reach a certain engine temp due to the different times the problem starts .
Code 71 EGR.
Now the code 41 and 47 is the TPS .
Go ahead and do the test i have attached and then you can confirm if you need a ECU replacement or not
TPS test sheet .
http://imgur.com/cWFwX40
http://imgur.com/lkC1X0Z
EGR test sheet .
http://imgur.com/XYoWhae
http://imgur.com/J3u6DY6
http://imgur.com/0gDt7lf
http://imgur.com/tYpZEDH
Then if needed please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.
Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
Not rating or a bad rating does not constitute a refund.
If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Greg, I want to confirm that I received your reply. You sent a couple of things to check and I will be checking all over the next couple of days. I will update you regarding my progress. I look forward to leaving for you very positive feedback. Quick question? Because I have already changed the sub TPS and the sub TPS wiring connector right that plugs into the sensor and I am still receiving the same code 47, what is now the most likely cause of that problem? Yes, i will run the test on the sheet, just wondering the most likely culprit at this point. thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Hi .
Due to the way the car is running after warm up period i'd say the EGR valve is the biggest issue .
But saying this the TPS is a good item to cause you this issue of the stumble ..
If all check out then try another ECM.
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
message received, will check all and advise - thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.
Keep me posted .
Greg
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
quick question, the diagram refers to a check connector under the instrument panel. can you send to me a photo that tells me where this is located? the current photo only shows the exposed test connector but not the cover panel. thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to clarifiy, i am attempting to gain access to the test connector shown in the tps testing instructions. thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

This is the undercover that is black ,and the sensor you are after is the sensor on top of the accelerator pedal

where your feet are under the dash look up and you will see a cover with a foor room light fixed in to it and the OBD connection .

Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am i removing anything to gain access to this tps diagnostic obd or should i be able to see it there above the accelerator pedal? to clarify, this is a different obd terminal than the one where i pull the engine codes TE1 and E1 of the diagnostic terminal connector located under the left side of the dash or is it the same connector? thanks
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

No you are just removing the cover ,its possible due to the year of your car there is no OBD connector there .

The cover as said is just a plastic cover horizontal to the floor or the car

Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, got it, only removing a plastic covering for the diagnostic connector, and not the entire panel underneath the steering wheel, thanks.
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Okay good hunting .

Greg