Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I have 97 sc300 it was parked it wont shift out of park even

Customer Question

I have 97 sc300 it was parked for awhile it wont shift out of park even when I press the manual release. Ive already changed the brake stop switch.any ideas?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer., Please allow me to assist you. Please allow me to ask if the vehicle's brake lights illuminate when you depress the brake pedal. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The brake lights do work.like I said I also replaced the brake stop switch.to give a bit of background the car had bee parked for 6to9 months I wanted to sell it and with a brand new battery it wouldn't start I replaced the alternator fuse and it starts now but it wont go out of park even when I press the manual release button! I took gear shift panel off to if something had spilled in there also but im stumped

How far does the manual over-ride button go down when you push it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the panel under the shifter off and examined it ,it doesn't move much movement at all the only movement I feel the button itself flexing with a small click but hardly feels like im pressing a button!

It sounds to me like something is seized in under the shifter. Let's try this: Spray the arear under the shift override button with WD-40 Let it sit for an hour and retry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ill give it a try

ok Please let me know how you make out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dosent seem to work I wasn't sure where to spray the wd40 so I put on all the moving parts I could reach and all the metal where saw a slight rust. I recently replaced the brake stop switch and the alternator fush and radio fuse are they're and other fuses that would prevent the car from shifting,?
Pull the entire shoplifter off and manually move the solenoid that locks the shifter. If it does not move you need to replace the shift lock module.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats a shoftlifter
Autocorrect. Sorry. Should read remove the entire SHIFT LEVER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I did that I pulled the shifter off and disconnected the two cables to expose the shift override button I push it as can see the mechanism moving I sprayed every where I see metal or moving parts prior to this I had replace the alternator fuse and the radio fuse are there any other fuses that would prevent the car from shifting? Also im pretty sure I installed the brake stop switch correctly when the brake peddle is pressed the little button on the end of the break stop switch is not depressed. Would lack of transmission fluid cause this?

Transmission fluid would not cause this. This issue is purely a mechanical issue. It is possible that the shift lock unit has failed.