Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Moose, Got in my GX470 this morning and put it in reverse

Customer Question

Hi Moose, Got in my GX470 this morning and put it in reverse and I noticed it didn't engage. Tried drive and still didn't engage. Then when I put it back in park it made a grinding noise. I am assuming something is up with my transmission. (In case it matters the "Off" light for the height control has been blinking for about a week.)
Thanks!
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
This does sound like either there is an internal mechanical fault in the transmission needing located and repaired or an issue with the fluid being low due to a leak.I would check the fluid level and correct as needed and repair any leaks.If this is all o.k. the transmission will need checked/tested further to pinpoint and repair the fault.This usually requires removal of the transmission to inspect and repair.I would have the fault codes checked with a compatible scan tool as this will help point out any faults as well.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete. I had expected a reply within the hour and ended up having to call road side assistance. The driver of the tow truck checked the car before hooking it up and fortunately found that the, what I will call, "High, Low" gear shift to the right of the regular gear shift was in Neutral!!! Once we shifted it back to High everything was back in working order! Saved me a lot of money. :) Hopefully you can use that to help someone with a similar problem in the future. Have a great day and thanks for responding.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
That's great to hear it has been resolved.I will keep this in mind for future reference.If you need anything else let me know.
Thanks Pete