Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Lexus ES300: simply searching as to why i am still getting

Customer Question

simply searching as to why i am still getting an engine light after my mechanic has replaced every sensor, belt, etc on my 99 Lexus es300. Im getting repeat codes now.
Im considering having the computer looked at and repaired.
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mechanic has spoken with Lexus and toyota dealerships for help. What is mind-boggling here is that the car runs great.
No hesitation, idles smoothly, accelerates fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last option is to remove computer and have a diagnostics run on it.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise as to what Diagnostic Trouble Code (or codes) you are getting when the vehicle is put on a scan tool. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the recent code in front of me but it mentioned the timing belt jumped. This us the second time around to receive this code.
If you are getting a cam position correlation code, that usually stems to poor tension setting on the timing belt when it was installed, or, the timing belt was of inferior quality (ier not Lexus parts)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mechanic replaced the belt twice and only buys the best parts. He suggested I sell it but I can't with it having the engine light. Have taken it to several other shops but no luck. What about the computer?
Computer failures are rare, Very rare. Unless somebody jumped the battery backwards, I would not suspect a computer problem. How many miles are on this car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has called lexus dealers but they have no idea.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Second engine. Over 160K
You might have worn crankshaft thrust bearings. This allows the crankshaft to move back and forth in the cylinder block. When this happens, the crankshaft position sensor does not line up with the unit on the crank that the sensor 'reads'. If this car was in my shop, we would be checking the crankshaft for lateral movement onside the cylinder block.. This condition will give you a crank/cam code even though there in nothing wrong with the car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Getting plenty of codes even though the car runs great. I will take this crankshaft possibility to my guy. Thanks
You are very welcome If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer