Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

Lexus IS250: My daughter spilled some coke in her 2009 Lexus

Customer Question

My daughter spilled some coke in her 2009 Lexus IS250 yesterday (actually, it exploded). Shortly after that, she lost sound in the speakers. You can see the volume going up on the screen, but no sound from radio, CD or Aux. The Voice Navigation still works for directions however. Everything appears normal except that there is no sound/volume
Did the Coke cause something to short out? Is there a fuse or fuses I can check that just affect sound? Is it possible that the amp is out, and if so, how can you check? Where is the amp located on this car?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Where id the coke get spilled specifically?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To be honest, I'm not sure. She put the pop in a blender bottle and turned it a couple times. Being carbonated in a sealed bottle, it exploded all over. She wiped it down after it happened. When she got home, I cleaned the inside and could see sticky residue on the radio area. She is not available for me to ask right now, but I can say with confidence that it did splash on the audio/nav unit.I can find out later when I talk to her where the majority of this landed if you want.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
The amplifier is located in the right rear quarter panel of the trunk area. Unless the code flooded the trunk is not likely the issue. It is possible that got into the face of the radio and shorted out the circuit that sends the information to the amplifier. The likelihood of damaged to the amplifier is slim but probably the radio the only way to know would be to pull the radio and have it sent out. If the functions of the radio otherwise work normally besides the sound it is not a fuse or power and ground issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree with your answers. In your opinion, to you think the radio is repairable or do you think it would need to be replaced?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
It should be repairable provided you do not wait to long to have it cleaned.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Any luck on this yet?