Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

Lexus LS 430: Do I have to replace a knock sensor? I took my

Customer Question

Do I have to replace a knock sensor? I took my Lexus 2001 LS 430 and had a lot of work done (timing belt, Exhaust system repair, water pump, air cleaner, cabin air filter, front undershield replaced, etc). After picking it up the engine light went on and they are identifying a knock sensor issue.... Do I really have to replace this? I just spent $2600 in repairs :-(
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today. That is very possible but would you like the test for the knock sensors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No sure what you are asking?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Well you seem to be asking if you need to replace a knock sensor. I am saying that it is possible that it is bad and do you want the procedure to test them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am an amateur, so the mechanic would do this for me, but my question really is, even if the knock sensors are bad you really need to replace them immediately or can it be put off.
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
I see, thanks. Yes, they could wait if it's not giving you any sort of driving problems. Most times you would not notice it, just that the light will come on when the code sets.