sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Lexus ES330: The rear driver side window won't go down. Trying

Customer Question

The rear driver side window won't go down. Trying to push it while pressing the button doesn't work. A service technician fixed it before and told me the trick, but I don't remember. Do you know?
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also called my service dealer (too far to go to) and was told to hold down the button for 10 sec then up for 10 sec. That didn't work either.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer
You may have quite a few things going on. It could be a switch or wiring issue but the most likely cause for a window not working would be a failed window motor.
What will need to be done is remove the door panel, unplug the motor connector and set up a test light across the terminals. With the key on and window switch pressed if the test light does light up then the motor has failed and will need to be replaced.
If it doesn't light up then deeper testing of the switches and wiring will be necessary. It could be a failed switch but broken wring in the boots between the doors and body is more common.
One thing you can do is hold the switch in the up or down position and tap on the motor with a screwdriver, wrench, small hammer, etc. This wil often knock stuck brushes loose and allow the motor to work again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I was hoping for something I can try myself - sounds like I'll need to take it to the shop. I can hear the motor running when the button is pressed but the window won't budge.
If you can hear the motor then the problem isn't electrical. You either have a broken regulator or the lift plate is broken and the glass is no longer attached to the regulator. The door panel will need to come off for a physical inspection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, sorry it took awhile to rate. Since the answer required my car to be serviced, I wanted to see what the diagnosis would be. At first they said the motor was burned out but fortunately by the time I picked up my car, they had tapped on the motor and it started working. The repair cost $19.95. I'm rating your answer as Excellent because you tried to be helpful and obviously knew what you were talking about. Even though I had been hoping for something I could fix myself, it worked out okay. Thanks.
If they tapped the motor and got it working then the motor has failed and wasn't actually running. Replacing the motor will be necessary for a permanent repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not clear what you mean that the motor wasn't actually running. I've been able to open and close the window a few times since then (including just now) so it must be working. Are you saying that it was just a temporary fix that won't last long?
Your post on July 19th said that the motor was running:
If they hit the motor with a hammer to allow the window to work again then the motor wasn't actually running at that time.
Yes, hitting the motor is a temporary fix at best. The problem is a failed window motor, stuck brushes were preventing it from running. Hitting the motor to see if it comes back is a quick diagnostic stop often used instead using a test light to check for power and ground as should be done. It's not a repair and the problem will return unless the motor is replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your follow up. Yes now that you remind me, I'm certain I heard something running. At first when they called me, I was told that the motor had burned out (which I assumed was from me trying it so many times). I thought it odd when I arrived to pick up my car that I was then told they had taken off the door panel and tapped on the motor to free it up and it was running now. Which tells me they declared it dead without taking off the door panel. I'm not sure what to think now. Honestly getting the motor replaced was not my concern. They had also determined that the air mix servo-motor needs to be replaced which was pretty pricey. But now, reading my receipt it says "pinpointed source of noise as driver and passenger air mix servo-motors. Tested climate control system for trouble codes or failure to operate, did not detect a problem with operation of climate control system, other than noise. Prepared estimate to replace motors. " I was going to hold off on that one (since I had not experienced an issue with my AC) but was told that it could stop blowing the right temperature at any time. Now I'm wondering whether to trust the diagnoses I was given!
Is it a clicking noise you're hearing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, clicking. It only happens during the warm months, and has moved from sounding like it was near the glove box, then the middle, now directly in front of me. It clicks the most when I start the car and goes away after awhile.
A clicking noise is almost surely coming from one or more actuators. It could be just an annoyance or it could end up causing a door to break. The clicking is from the actuator continuing to move after the door has stalled at full travel.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So are you saying they are ordering me the wrong part or it's the right thing to do? Replacing the servo-motor is going to cost me a thousand bucks!
The actuators are very likely what is causing the problem. I don't doubt their diagnosis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks! Have a good day wherever you are :)
You're welcome and good luck with your car!