FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE
1627031

Lexus RX300: I have a 2001 RX 300 Lexus with 160,000 miles

Customer Question

I have a 2001 RX 300 Lexus with 160,000 miles on it and I just had an oil change, 2 days later my check engine light along with my VSC light came on, I took it to Advance auto to have them do a diagnostic on it for free and he said 5 codes came up and basically they were all related to emissions, he said I probably had bad gas or didn't tighten the gas cap or the fuel injection fluid needed to be flushed, I had the fluid flushed and they turned the lights off but within 2 days they came back on. I am not sure what could be causing it and with that many miles I am afraid I will be taken advantage of when I take it in to be looked at.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Did they happen to give you the code numbers when they scanned the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There were 4 codes I believe and they all had something to do with emissions, I asked what that meant and he said it didn't looking a gas cap leak because it didn't have the code for that, he said that he felt there was a leak in one of the hoses and I needed to take it to a repair shop to have some "smoke" sent through the system that would show where the leak was, as long as I didn't smell gas fumes, which I don't then it didn't show an emergency situation. I did take it back today to the place I just had the oil change and had them make sure that the air filter was tight and everything else was also just to make sure. They checked and said it all looked good and turned off the check engine light and VSC light but told me the same thing about the codes. It was related to something with the emissions, which I have no idea what that could be.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
If I knew the codes that would really help me to determine what is going on. If I were to guess, typically if this happened right after the oil change they they may have accidentally disconnected one of the vacuum hoses that are connected to the air filter housing when checking the filter. This happens a lot on this vehicle. Also, if the code has to do with valve timing then it can cause a check engine light is the correct oil or a cheap oil filter was used. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will. I will just take it in next week and really hope it is a easy, cheap fix:)
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully it will be. If I can be of further assistance please let me know. Please rate when you can also. Thank you.