Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

Lexus GX370: Lost power and won't start. Just filled up with

Customer Question

Lost power and won't start. Just filled up with gas. Checked gas cap. All electrical is blinking
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
When you turn the key to the start position or push the start button depending on which model you have do all of the instrument panel lights flicker on and off? If you turn the headlights on while trying to start it do the headlight dim and flicker on and off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes all the instrument panel lights flicker. Can't see the headlights but I imagine try are dimming
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clicking sounds now too from the instrument panel
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
What you're going to find is that you have a low power flow or current problem from the battery. This sounds like a dead battery. And yes that can happen suddenly it may not necessarily happen over a smaller period of time. you could check the battery terminals to make sure there's no corrosion or they accidentally came loose. The bot***** *****ne is you will need to get a jumpstart then do not shut the vehicle off until you get where you're going at which point you will probably have to have the battery tested and or replaced. If you stop by a nearby AutoZone or similar parts store they will do a free battery tested analysis and can even replace it for you why you wait.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would I have started to lose accelerator power too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once jump started could it die on me again?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
If the alternator is charging properly once it's jumpstarted it should stay running and you should notice no loss of power. If the alternator is weak however in the battery is completely gone you could have issues with that staying running or it could stall on you. If you get a jumpstarted hold the engine RPM at two or 3000 RPM turn all the electrical accessories on that you can and see if the vehicle stays running. If it does then the alternator should be charging sufficiently enough that you should be able to drive it without any further problems. Without knowing the state of the battery it's hard to say for sure. If the alternator starts to fail you could lose power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roger. Thank tou
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. Please do not forget to let me know how things go and provide a positive rating of three or higher. If you need additional assistance feel free to reply and I will get back to you. I will be online for three or four hours yet this evening and monitoring on and off tomorrow.