Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Lexus sc400: my fuel vapor canister filled with gas and is

Customer Question

my fuel vapor canister filled with gas and is running out of the overflow under the engine. 1994 lexus sc400
only runs out when vehicle is off
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You should never have wet gasoline in the vapor canister. If you do, you have a problem with the vapor line that is attached to the top of the fuel tank, or a fueling problem.. More often than not, overfilling the tank will eliminate the 'air space' between the top of the gasoline and the inside top of the tank. When this happens, and the vapor purge line is opened via a solenoid, wet fuel is drawn form the tank into the canister. Other times, a dent in the bottom of the tank will reduce the air space that I previously described. There needs to be 'room' for the gasoline to emanate gasoline fumes (vapor). The purcg line sucks these vapors and stores them in the canister to be used when the engine is running (on decel). A note on the canister: You need to rectify the problem with the vapor purge system. This may require replacement of the fuel tank, especially if it has a dent in the bottom. Once you do that, you will also need to replace the canister. The charcoal inside it will no longer work properly afer the charcoal gets wet with fuel. Personally, this sounds like you have a fuel tank issue. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This problem will exist even with an eighth to a quarter of fuel in the tank, the tank on the 94 Lexus sc400 is located inside the trunk. the fuel pump has recently been replaced no dents or dings in the fuel tank anywhere the cell is in good condition. if the tank is pressurized fuel will come through the purge line to the vapor canister, this includes sitting outside in the Sun.
The possibility of the vapor line that is inside the tank has come dislodged, and is allowing the fuel to be drawn up into the purge line. To check this, you will need to remopve the fuel sending unit, and, with a mirror and a good flashlight, look to see what the vapor purge line looks like inside the tank. The only way you can get fuel into the canister is if via the vapor purge line (or if somebody mixed up the lines).