FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE
1627031

I am trying to repair a 1999 Lexus RX300 with awd with 144K

Customer Question

I am trying to repair a 1999 Lexus RX300 with awd with 144K miles. There is a rattling sound coming from the top of the engine. the timing belt seemed loose so I replaced it along with the water pump and hydraulic tensioner. I checked under the left valve
cover and there was considerable sludge. I cleaned off the sludge and put everything back together. The rattle is still present. The vehicle drives normally and there are no codes. How do I test the VVTI system?
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While waiting for a response I removed the right valve cover and cleaned around the cams. I also pulled both oil control valves and powered them to make sure they are functional. I should note that all of the camshaft lobes looked good, there was no sign of oil starvation. I suspect that the VVT gears are not functioning. How do I tell if they are bad?What other causes tend to cause the rattling sound?.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question and that great information. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no check engine light and no engine codes. I just bought the car because the pervious owner was told that she needed a new engine. She had the car for 2 weeks when she was told she needed a new engine. i am pretty sure that the sound is not rod knock. But I am still planning on dropping the oil pan to clean any sludge and to check for damage. I admit that I was thinking 'engine problem' when I started working on the car, and I am not entirely sure that the power steeling pump isn't shot and is causing the rattle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found what appears to be bearing material in the oil pan. I won't need any assistance with the VVT system.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you have a much larger problem on your hands. Did you need further assistance with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am getting emails to 'rate your service'. I did not get any service and am reluctant to provide a rating. Providing a satisfactory rating would cost me a few dollars and give you a positive rating, while providing a negative rating would hurt my account standing and lower your approval rating. Neither option is acceptable to me. I have asked another question regarding the RX300. Perhaps you could answer that question.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Please ask me that question here. I am happy to help and would like to earn a higher rating from you.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to do so.