Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Lexus Is300: This question deals with a Lexus IS300 timing

Customer Question

This question deals with a Lexus IS300 timing belt, water pump and VVT Camshaft replacement. Do you have experience with this vehicle type?
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Recently performed a timing belt, water pump, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal and VVT Cam sprocket replacement on a 2002 Lexus IS300. I put everything back together, the car get's to 1,000 rpm, will not hold idle and then shuts down. I'm at a loss as to what I might have done wrong. With respect to the replacement of the VVT cam sprocket replacement, this is what I did: 1. Set Crankshaft at 0 degress TDC then checked camshaft sprocket notches matched the backing plate notches. 2. Removed (facing engine), right valve cover, held cam in place and torqued off VVT Camshaft Sprocket. 3. Re-installed the rebuilt VVT Cam Sprocket. While hold the camshaft in place, rotated Cam Sprocket to the right (clockwise) then torqued on Camshaft Sprocket bolt. (Made sure Cam Sprocket moved 30 degrees to the left and right before tightening Cam bolt). 4. Re-aligned / positioned VVT Cam Sprocket notch with backing plate notch. Is there anything I did incorrectly with respect to the IS300 engine? Again, car won't hold idle. Gets to 1,000 rpms then cuts out.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Double check the work that was done to see if anything electrical was bumped loose or damaged in any way causing this here.In some cases if a component is bumped loose or damaged during the repairs this can cause this fault.If this is or was checked and found o.k. let me know.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did all that. Too generic of an answer.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the timing components or settings on this model here.I will have to open this question up for others here to see if they can assist further on this as someone else here may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Different expert here. Without doing some hands on tests, I cannot be absolutely certain, but, based on your explanation of the issue, I am inclined ot beleive that the oil control valve for the VVT unit is alloing oil pressure to occure (and move the VVT gear) when it is not supposed ot be allowing movement, or, there is insuffieicnt oil pressure at the VVT solenoid to allow movement of the VVT gear. One or the tiher, the problem really sounds like the VVT is not reacting properly. Oil pressure (via the VVT solenoid) is usually the most common culprit. Sometimes, debris gets into the VVT solenoid; this blocks the oil pressure. I would recommend that you remove the VVT control solenoid and see if the orifice is blocked. If it is OK, I would consider replacement of the VVT solenoid. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer