Arench
Arench, Master Technician
Experience:  30-years experience auto and truck repair.
13630601

Lexus ES330: I have a Lexus 2005 ES 330 and the check engine

Customer Question

I have a Lexus 2005 ES 330 and the check engine light came on recently it has 113,000 miles on it will could be the problem?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Arench replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. My name is ***** ***** I will help you understand what is happening. The check engine light is a malfunction indicator set on by your car's engine control computer.The computer monitors all engine, transmission and emissions system components as well asperforming logic tests as you drive. One or more components or tests is out of range. There are actually over 100 differentreasons for the light to come on. The computer sets and stores a code which can beretrieved by a scan tool to aid in diagnosis. Mechanics and some auto parts stores have these toolsand this procedure of scanning for codes is quite commonplace by mechanics, and motorists alike. Once the code(s) are known then a diagnosis and repair can begin. If the check engine light is flashing this indicates an engine misfire which is a serious conditionrequiring urgent action to be taken on your part. If the light is not flashing then there is a good chance there is an emissions system relatedmalfunction and you can investigate the cause in a timely but not emergency manner. The most frequently appearing code for this car is P0442 which translates into anevaporative emissions system leak. That mean gas fumes potentially leakingor a malfunction in the detection system. This is sometimes solved by a gas cap replacementor a broken hose in the area of the fuel tank. There is know way to know the true nature of your car's problem until the fault code(s) is/are retrieved.General mechanics are pretty good at dealing with this type of common "check engine light" complaint. My only goal is for your satisfaction.If you feel I have not provided satisfactory service please speak up before rating as I can opt out.There are many great techs here that may be able to help.