Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I drive a 2002 LS430. I have code P0500 malfunction

Customer Question

I drive a 2002 LS430. I have code P0500 for VSS malfunction that I cannot get to stay off. I have tried many things and am pretty deep into this. Expert help will be greatly appreciated.
Category: Lexus
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How are you emailing me that I cannot get an answer for this? There is a standard list of things to check in the service manual for code P0500. I would really like more clarification on why someone cannot assist me.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If you have not inspected wiring from the sensor and at the sensor this should be done as I have seen broken and damaged wiring cause this type of fault here and had to repair it.If this was checked and all found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Pete,Thanks for the reply.I have checked the wiring and it is good. I have also changed the ECM and speed sensor with no success. I keep getting the code as soon as I clear it and drive a few seconds. Any more suggestions? I am open to anything at this point.Garth
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay as I was off line yesterday.
With the wiring,sensor and computer all o.k. this sounds more like a fault with an internal mechanical fault with the transmission itself.I would have this checked into further to see if you can locate a fault with the transmission causing this here needing repaired.It may be a broken or cracked reluctor ring or gear causing this.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked the waveform of the VSS with the car driving. There is a constant wave with no interruption, which tells me that my speed sensor is seeing what it needs to see in order to work. Doesnt this tell me that my transmission is in good working order for the VSS to accurately operate?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Below are some links you can copy and paste into a new web page or web tab to view that show the diagnostics for this fault code here.See if you can follow these to pinpoint the cause.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/49oecsnfln01v18/v-07-10.gif?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/714qw56zxdq6q7l/vs-07-10.gif?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9q9eqrs8m9gtlb5/vss-07-10.gif?dl=0
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
I have checked the sensors and they are all within spec, even the old ones.
I have checked the speedometer with the computer plugged into the car while driving and the speeds match up.
In your opinion, what does check the speedometer circuit mean? That is so vague to me and maybe I havent inspected something correctly.
I am beginning to think I have a ghost. Can you tell me if there is a specific V that I should have at VSS terminals 23 or 22 to ground?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
The check speedometer circuit indicates to check the wiring fed to the speedometer for any issues as well as terminals in the electrical connections for being loose or damaged.
I don't see a specific voltage myself on this here.
With everything looking like it works properly I would call a dealer and see if they have any updated programming for your computers for this issue here as there may be updated programming to fix this.
Thanks Pete