Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics
18617752

Lexus IS250: I have a lexus is250 and the chck vsc light came

Customer Question

I have a lexus is250 and the chck vsc light came on. I checked it at Autozone and it referred to one side catalytic converter. Is there other non expensive cause?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.
Can you give me the "p-code" associated with this? (usually just to the left of the description on the AutoZone print-out)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not have it.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Without the p-code I cannot know if there are any other possible causes or even if the AutoZone diagnostic was correct. I can tell you this- if the p-code was P0420 (Bank1) or P0430 (bank2) then unfortunately, on Lexus, these are very straight forward codes pointing to the Converter failing. The Oxygen Sensors measure the amount of emissions in the exhaust going into, and then out of the converter. When they see that the converter is not "cleaning" the exhaust enough to meet specs, the Converter is deemed "below threshold" and the P0420/P0430 is set. Make sure there are no current cylinder misfires. Make sure there are no leaks in the exhaust system. Which, if there were, you should be able to hear. Sounding like a repeating "tick" or "puff" from the exhaust. Usually more prodominate when the engine is cold. Make sure to include the exhaust manifold when checking for leaks/cracks. If these check ok, then most commonly, the Converter is "on it's way out" and will need replacement in the near future. Keep in mind, you will need a replacement converter that meets specs. Those "universal" or "discount" converters sold at some after market parts stores do not meet specs, and will not cure a P0420/P0430. If there were any other codes stored along with either, or the code was anything besides one of these... then yes, there is a possibility that the Converter is not the root of the problem. But again, I'd need those p-codes to give you insight into that. Please remember, your rating is required. Leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer and let me know how my service was today! You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.