Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Lexus GS350: was trying to replace alternator on 07 gs 350

Customer Question

was trying to replace alternator on 07 gs 350 and forgot to unplug battery. had a spark on electric wire on alternator. unhooked the battery, now when i hook back up i have no power to anything but headlights.
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like a blown high amperage fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. I would recommend opening the hood, open the fuse panel lid and examine all of the rectangular fuses with clear plastic "windows". You will probably find one blown. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked in the clear window of the main fuse panel on the passenger side that has the big block panel with all the fuses tied to the main fuse, looks like a 6-8 inch fuse under a clear plastic cover. That main fuse is blown. Just to check I placed a screw driver between the contacts and it fixed the issue. How do I replace that huge fuse. or how do I even find it?
The blown fuse is very difficult to replace. Since it carries such a high amount of current, it is bolted to the metal power buss bars inside the fuse panel. In order to replace this fuse, the fuse panel needs to be unbolted and then the upper half separated from the lower half. Only then can one access the bolts that holds the "legs" of this fuse to the buss bars. In all honesty, if you are not sure you can do this, leave it to a pro. You can easily break the tabs that holds the fuse panel together. This would expose the power buss bars and would not be safe. If you do try this yourself, take the battery out of the vehicle first, unbolt the panel and then defeat the retention tabs. It is knot very easy doing this. Just be careful you do not break the retainers.