FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE
1627031

Lexus RX330: I have an 05 RX330. some time I have

Customer Question

I have an 05 RX330. For quite some time I have been having a rattling noise on acceleration coming from the engine area. Especially louder on cold start, then the noise goes away. Just today, it is now accompanied by a loud growling noise on acceleration, especially quick acceleration. But this one does not go away. Only seems to happen more from stop to slow speed accell. I can feel the grown on the steering wheel. I'm afraid it's the tranny. Though, I have no loss of power nor any shifting issues. My suspicion is that it is an exhaust leak, though I'm not sure since I don't have the check engine light, and it recently passed a smog check with flying colors. Any ideas?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. There are issues with the transmissions on this vehicle that can result in this type of noise. From my experience with this vehicle though it sounds more like an issue with the valve timing actuators. You may have an actuator failing or it can be an oil issue. If the oil has not been changed recently or if a cheap oil filter is on the vehicle then this can occur. If the oil is fine then I would typically suspect the actuators. I would of course also check all exhaust heat shields to make sure that none are loose. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.