Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Lexus RX300: I have a 2000 rx300 & it wont start. It putted

Customer Question

I have a 2000 rx300 & it wont start. It putted a couple of time and cut off & now it just makes a clicking noise
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
DOes the car make 1 single click, or a series of clicks when you try to start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It makes one single click
One single click is indicative of a bad set of contacts (worn/burnt/etc) in the starter solenoid.
The recommendation is to have the starter removed and the contacts visually inspected; replace if obviously worn or burnt.
A series of clicks would be a weak battery (not enough voltage to keep the starter engaged.
If the vehicle has over 100,000 miles on it, I would recommend replacing the starter.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply.
Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer