Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Lexus and Toyota expert
Experience:  30 + years of experience; Multiple Award Winning Svc Mgr; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

If I use Mobil 1 engine oil can I change every 10K miles, or

Customer Question

If I use Mobil 1 engine oil can I change every 10K miles, or must I change every 5K miles?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you.
Depending on the make, model and year of the car, the answer may be yes.
The benefit of synthetic oil (Mobil 1, etc) is not the fact that it can 'go' another 5,000 miles. The benefit is the molecules are evenly distributed, which allows better lubrication, and, when the oil is used in a hydraulic pressure application (oil pressure is how the variable valve timing is moved), the response of synthetic performing the hydraulic function is more rapid.
If you do not have a VVT engine & you have a lot of miles on it, the recommendation here would be to change it every 5,000 miles.
The reason is this: Oil, synthetic or conventional, goes 'bad' as the contamination level of the oil (caused by the combustion process). As the contamination builds up, this gets between the oil molecules. Since the Synthetic molecules are evenly distributed, the contamination has more places to be trapped. Ie 'longer life oil' between oil changes
Theoretically...
But, on a higher mileage engine, where worn piston rings allow oil contamination to occur at a faster rate, the ability to retain the contamination AND still lubricate properly is reduced
The recommendation I have for you on this request is this:
If you have over 80,000 miles on the engine, with original piston rings, change your oil (synthetic) every 5,000 miles. If using conventional, change it every 3,500 miles.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reply
If you are happy with my input, Thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry.
Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer