Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

Lexus ES 330: I have a 2005 Lexus ES 330 and it's blowing hot

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Lexus ES 330 and it's blowing hot air. Compressor makes a racket. I guess it's time. What is cheapest way to replace?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Does it still blow cold air? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not blowing cold air. Engine was replaced at 167,000 miles with a used on with 50,000 on it. I now have a total of 328,000 miles. still runs great
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
Cheapest option will be using a used compressor the next available option would be a remanufactured compressor and the most expensive would be a compressor new from Lexus. If the compressor is making noise this means there is a possibility of metal pieces being circulated through the system typically this gets logged in the filter dryer sock assembly which is located in the end of the condenser there is a plug that is removed and the filter socket is removed out there. Technically speaking the system should be completely flushed with solvent to ensure that no debris circulates in towards the evaporator and expansion valve. Most shops charge about two hours in labor to replace the compressor and recharge and you're looking at probably another hour to replace the filter dryer. Some models do not offer the dryer separate and you have to buy the entire condenser.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I purchase a used compressor? On line? also should I buy a used condenser as well?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.
yes I would look online or even try ebay. You might try rockauto.com. They probably have a good price on a remanufactured unit which would beat the price of a used one maybe. Do not use a used condenser. Too many problems.