LexusPro
LexusPro, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Lexus Master Certified, 11 yrs w/ Lexus Dealership, Elite of Lexus 2000-2011, 17yrs Auto Industry
48590959

2000 RX300, no check engine lights on but when engine is cold

Customer Question

2000 RX300, no check engine lights on but when engine is cold after sitting overnight, When I start driving I get some erratic shifting in the lower gears during acceleration. Once the engine gets to normal temp. the problem seems to get much better. Not sure if it is a solenoid problem or transmission valve problem. Fluid it new and Toyota brand, not aftermarket
Category: Lexus
Expert:  LexusPro replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer. Transmission problems are very common on that model. Is it making any noise , whining etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I don't hear any noises
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sometimes if I drive in 2nd gear for a short time until RPMs hit about 3K then shift to drive. I don't feel the erratic shifts, and then in a few miles when the engine temp. warms up everything seems to run smooth
Expert:  LexusPro replied 1 year ago.
I would start by cleaning the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body to see if that helps. If it still does it after that you will most likely be looking at the beginning of transmission failure which is very common on that model. We replace 4 or 5 every month at my dealer and the parts department sells even more that that to local shops. Let me know if you have other questions. I will be glad to further assist.