Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician qualified to work on all makes and models.
3827149

Lexus LS430: Ive got a 2004 Lexus Ls430 that is downshifting

Customer Question

Ive got a 2004 Lexus Ls430 that is downshifting hard into low gear at about 10 miles and hr. No warning lights. Took it to a transmission shop that checked the fluid and found it clean. They think its a computer issue. I talked to someone today who thought it might be the shifting solenoid(modular)? What do you think?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m Tom and I’m here to assist you with your issue today. Sounds like a shift solenoid issue to me. When was the transmission last serviced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know the last time it was fully serviced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How simple how difficult is the fix? Price range to fix?
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Try servicing the transmission first including a flush about 100 dollars if there is still an issue then the shift solenoid will need to be tested and replaced about 150 parts and labor. These are next steps. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so far. Why wouldn't there be any warning lights coming on?
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes until the part fails completely the engine light will not come on. Please rate excellent service so I can get credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a repair a good auto repair shop can handle or do you recommend a transmission shop?
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Either Toyota dealer or transmission either is good but recommend the Toyota dealer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Will try the service and flush. If still have an issue then you recommend replacing the solenoid?
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes but they can test it with the scanner hooked up to the vehicle to make sure that's the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toyota dealer does not have computer to test Lexus. Lexus dealer 60 miles from me so I more inclined to try to stay in town with someone qualified.
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok a good transmission shop is fine. But the Toyota dealer has the right scanner trust me regardless what they tell you.