Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Lexus Gx470: When I accelerate my 2004 Lexus gx470 with 120000

Customer Question

When I accelerate my 2004 Lexus gx470 with 120000 miles on it, I hear this skipping -broken noise. I took it to a Toyota dealer which services the SUV quarterly and never reported any leak, they told me that the oil level was low and I need a transfer case at a cost of $4300 dollar. I told them I was not sure I was willing to spend that much money to the car.
Should I go with a used transfer case? Trade? I paid $ 20000 for the SUV at 80000 miles on it. They told me as is, the SUV is worth $4000
What is your advice?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
If the vehicle overall is in great shape and you like it I would replace the transfer case,The choice is up to you if you want to install a new or a used one.If you do go with a used one (which will be allot cheaper) make sure it comes with some type of warranty as some used ones will.
If the vehicle has other issues it may be best to trade it off into something else.
Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete