sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Lexus GX470: Took my 2004 Lexus GX470 to have paint/body work

Customer Question

Took my 2004 Lexus GX470 to have paint/body work done - truck returned with all kinds of electrical problems; keyless remote does not work, power rear view mirrors don't work, clock/temperature control goes off, interior lights don't come on and a myriad of other electrical issues - what could have happened?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! All of these are ignition off draw items that would stop working together. Most likely you either have a blown fuse or they removed the fuse to prevent the battery from dying while working. Depending on exactly what was done and what body damaged there was there may also have been a short to ground on the dome lamp circuit which caused the fuse to blow. Have you checked all fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where would i check for blown fuse - is that the fuse box on the lower left of the driver seat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
short to ground on the dome lamp circuit which caused the fuse to blow.Where do I check for this, same place? FYI I live in Cameroon, Central Africa, limited mechanical assistance thank you!
What type of body damage was there and what work was done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were just repainting the hood and front bummer for minor scratches, road damage - no accident - i can't imagine what in the world went very wrong - is there something in the engine compartment that they could have "knocked loose" or it appears that they detailed the inside of my car (poorly I might add) - could they have somehow hit some button or something? I did have an oil change done at the same time?
It's unlikely they did anything to cause this then. The first thing you'll want to do is check fuses in the box in the left end of the dash as well as under the hood.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was one of the fuses, replaced - appeared everything worked...except the power rear view mirrors (which were repainted due to external scrapes/scratches), so we checked the fuse for that - it was fine, but then the replaced fuse for everything blew again, agh! Is there a link between the power RV windows and the "ecc" replaced fuse - could repainting the RV mirrors be causing problem?
Were the mirrors removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not "appear" that they were, but will have to ask on Monday - could the two problems be related?
Yes, it's possible that wiring was shorted accidentally if the mirrors were removed.