ClayA
ClayA, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ten years experience, ASE Master and Advanced Level Specialist certifications. 2006 Winner National Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills
74704726

Lexus GX470: Today, while backing out, I hit the garage door

Today, while backing out, I hit the garage door which damaged the rear spoiler on my 2006 Lexus GX470, exposing the wires. The ABS and VSC lights came on and I'm unable to put the car into gear without the override switch. All of the brake lights are also out. I'm trying not to take repair shop unless absolutely necessary. Can you suggest anything I can try to fix this issue?
It sounds like the brake light circuit is shorted. Make sure that non of the exposed wires are touching each other and there are no shorts between the wires and a body panels. Then tape the up individually with electrical tape. Replace the blown brake light fuse. Your ABS and VSC lights are on because there is not power to the brake circuit. They should go out within a few key cycle of fixing the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Is the brake light fuse in the fuse box under the hood or the panel inside the car?
It should be located in the inside fuse block. If I remember correctly it is labeled STOP fuse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Changed out the blown fuse and applied the brakes. All lit up for a few seconds but the fuse blew out again. The spoiler is still attached on one side. Should it be removed completely?
If it still blew the fuse then you still have a short. It probably would be best to remove it and fix the short in the wires.