Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician qualified to work on all makes and models.
3827149

Lexus RX330: My 2005 RX330 a/c codes are 24 and 32. The passanger

Customer Question

My 2005 RX330 a/c codes are 24 and 32. The passanger side is cooling but the drivers side isn't. Will replacing the relay in the fuse box under the hood fix both problems?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Hi I’m Tom and I’m here to assist you with your issue today. Before I get you a fully researched answer, I have to ask you a couple preliminary questions.What would you actually like to know I would be glad to help.Does the a/c light flash also ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, not unless I go through water.
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
OK thats telling you there is an issue with the a/c compressor clutch relay in the under hood fuse box was this checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The clutch is fine also. I just read on this site that for code 24 you need to replace the relay.
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes thats what I was getting at you need to replace the compressor clutch relay with the updated relay from the dealer and this will fix your issue .This is what needs to be done to fix this issue .Remember that I'm here if you need any further assistance just let me know it will be for no further charge. Hoped this helped.Please rate excellent service so I can get Credit for my help thanks. Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician qualified to work on all makes and models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I still need some help. I am not sure that I have found the magnetic clutch relay. I thought it was in J/B#2. Under the cover labeled Relays. This is behind the fuses which is behind the battery. The cover has the information on the relays, but none of them are labeled anything like mg/cl. There are four of them. Three look the same and the starter looks different. The three are horn, EFI Main and A/F. I thought it might be A/F so I swapped the A/F and the Horn relays and there was no change.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have read that there are models that don't have the clutch relay. I think mine doesn't.
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
The location is in the Fuse box as MG CLT Rly 5th one down. If that's not the issue then it can be code 11and the that problem is the connector to the temperature sensor is not functioning. Clean up the connector with some contact cleaner, plug it back to the sensor. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For some reason my model RX330 isn't like others (see above comments). There is not label anything like MG CLT. That's my problem. The relay box (part of J/B 2) is behind the fuse box and under the brake fluid. I had to remove the brake fluid reservoir in order to get to it.

It sounds like it's not a normal configuration or maybe I am missing something. I can take a pic of both the fuse lid and the relay lid if it helps.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Yes that would help if you could.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I insert a pic I get access denied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put them in a google drive folder. See if you can access them from the link.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_OO1uTTi7bPZ0U4TEVQLUU3eVk&usp=sharing

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Try to swapping the relay labeled fan 2 and see if that makes a difference. Let me know it for not it's going to be the connection to the ambient temperature sensor or the sensor itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There is no relay in either fan 2 or BRK above it.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok there should be a relay for fan2 did anyone remove that recently ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Very weird. As far as I know no one has touched it. You have to remove the brake reservoir to get to it.. Besides, there is no electrical receptacle for the blade connectors of the relay in that position. Take a look at pic "fuse box 1"

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok have you checked for any other codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did another a/c check and now the only code is 32. 24 isn't displayed now. And still the passenger side cools and the driver side does not.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
OK that code is usually due to a low refrigerant level what are the high and low side pressures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try and find out, I had a mechanic at pep boys check it.

What should it be?

Is it possible when one side is cooling and one isn't and the problem is refrigerant level?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. 28 and 225
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Oknthats with the system on correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, drive to dinner. It started cooling on the passengers side also. Checked the codes again and they were 24 and 32. Don't know how long it will work.
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Ok this is a low refrigerant issue which the refrigerant is slightly low, low side should be 34 at least or a faulty passenger side drivers air/mix motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I will add refrigerant and see if that hopefully fixes it. Thanks.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.
Anytime have a great weekend!