AMD
AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist
65953032

Lexus LS 460: I just replaced the battery on my Lexus LS 460

I just replaced the battery on my Lexus LS(NNN) NNN-NNNN The battery was just purchased new. I cannot get the engine are anything to work. Is there a reset button or procedure after installing a new battery. I assume the battery is OK.??
Category: Lexus
Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Lexus question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

There's no reset procedure when you replace the battery, Allow me to assist on your request.

- Was the battery connected backwards?

- Did you make sure that the battery terminals are clean and tight?

- Do you have any power inside the vehicle like interior lights?

- Do you have a multimeter and knowledge of how to use it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

battery connected correctly

clean and tight

no power

I have meters and some knowledge (not much)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

are you there?

Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
OK Good,

First check the voltage across the battery, Make sure you have a bit over 12v.

Please note that it will take me a few moments to replay because I am looking at the entire wiring diagram for your vehicle as we speak so it takes me a few minutes to replay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I will check the voltage

Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
OK let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

looks like it may not be 12 volts. hard to tell with my cheap meter

I will try a better meter

Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
OK Let me know what measurement you have.

What is the current measurement you have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had 10 + volts. Wife called me in for dinner. I am through for tonight. Too tired. I did put a slow trickle charger on for the night. I think I may have purchased bad battery from Costco. I questioned the employee because he pulled it from off the floor not the battery rack. I was stupid to have accepted it. I have heard that concrete can sap the juice from a battery over time. If it does not work in the morning I will return it.

I had heard that some cars required you to do something before changing the battery and/or after replacing. That's why I contacted you. Is the case for my car?

Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
That is not the case for your vehicle, You might have to initialize the windows after you disconnect the battery which is done by turning on the ignition and pressing and holding the up button until it closes all the way and continue to hold it for 3 seconds then press and hold the down button until it opens all the way then continue to hold it in the down position for 3 seconds repeat this procedure for each window from it's switch at that door to make the auto function of the windows work again.

put the trickle charger on it with it disconnected from the vehicle and see if it has over 12v tomorrow, if not then get a new battery and that should take care of the problem. If not get back to me.

If you have any other questions please let me know, When you are 100% satisfied with my answer please rate it so I may get compensated for my time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

AMD

I will leave early in the AM. With my car or my wife's car. I will not be back until late. If the car is OK in the AM then I will give you the 100 % tomorrow night or Tuesday AM.

If it is not good in the AM and after replacing battery, if necessary, I will need additional assistance. Hopefully, it will be OK in the AM. If I require a lot more assistance then I am open to more $.

Thank you for you assistance!

Barry

Expert:  AMD replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome barry, I wish you a good night and I hope it's just a battery which is the most likely case at this point.

Let me know.
AMD, Master Technician
Experience: L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist