Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician qualified to work on all makes and models.
3827149

Lexus ES300: I have 96 es300 p0340 code. I have ohm cam and

Customer Question

I have 96 es300 p0340 code. I have ohm cam and crank sensor wires back to ecm. I have changed cam and crank sensor. I have install used ecm. I pulled covers and verified timing is correct. I have removed valve cover and checked cam sensor pick up. Still will not run it starts and stalls it smell like it is flooding out . Where do I go from here. Please Help!!!!!
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
This is a failure in the cam sensor or the wiring to it. The Camshaft position sensor (G2 signal) consist of a signal plate and pickup coil.Were both checked and are you sure timing is dead on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes the timing is dead on crank is on 0 both cams are lined up with notches. I installed new sensor.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
HAs the pick up coil been changed this is known to cause this code if you are sure everything else checks out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What pick up coil? Did not know it had one.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Sorry that was for another customer.What was the original issue with the vehicle and was the timing belt replaced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes about a year and half ago. P0340 code.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Have you physically removed upper and lower timing covers to check to make sure timing is dead on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
OK the ecm was never replaced?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, read my opening question.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Ok with a used ecm correct?There is a very good chance the used ECM is not good.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes. That I am aware of but I was wondering if there were anything else to check outside of a bad ecm? And is there a way to check ecm to see if it is no good?

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Besides opening it up and looking for burnt resistors or sending it out to be diagnosed these are the only ways.If timing is dead on and the cam and crank sensor are good as well as the wiring then it has to be an ECM issue.So this is where you need to focus next if all this checks out ok.Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.Please rate sometimes the question will close and I will not receive credit for my help.You can add to the question at anytime for no further charge.
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician qualified to work on all makes and models.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does this key have chip in it?

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
No it does not.