Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert
8257649

Lexus sc300: where is the crank positioning sensor on a 1992

Customer Question

where is the crank positioning sensor on a 1992 lexus sc300?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Lexus questions!

The camshaft and crankshaft position sensors are built into the distributor housing located in the right front corner of the cylinder head .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

can you send me a picture? i can't seem to locate it. thank you

The two sensors are located in the base of the distributor.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do i have to pull the distributor?

If you suspect that the crank sensor or cam sensor located in the distributor are bad they're not serviceable separate. The distributor has to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

are you sure. i spoke with a lexus mechanic today that said my problem might be a crank sensor and said nothing about having to replace the distributor

What did he base his diagnosis on? Do you have codes from the computer? Do you have the vehicle identification number available?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

20 years of experience. no. yes.jt8jz31c6n0003270. why would they sell a replacement part if it couldn't be replaced?

According to the vehicle identification number that you listed the separate crankshaft position sensor is not applicable to your vehicle. The sensors are all located inside the base of the distributor housing and those parts inside the distributor housing are not available separate. See the images below. The image with the sensor in the front oil pump housing does not apply to your vehicle identification number.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i'm not pleased with the three different answers i got today and don't understand why a part store would quote a part that doesn't go to my car!!!

I can not answer for the other three people but the information I gave you is based directly from your vehicle identification number. I also consulted and confirmed with the 1992 and 1993 Lexus wiring diagrams and they also show all three sensors G1 G2 and NE in the distributor housing. You could easily call the Lexus dealer parts department in the morning and they can confirm the information that I gave you based on your vehicle identification number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am calling my friend who is the parts manager at Lexus tomorrow and getting to the bottom of this.
now i can either rate you poorly now or wait until tomorrow, your choice, or refund my 18.00 now-

Why would you possibly rate me poorly when I have given you all of the information that you need. If your friend who diagnosed this and has 20 years of experience doesn't know the difference between a crank sensor in the oil pump housing and the distributor perhaps you need to get someone to diagnose this a little better. I'm surprised that there are no malfunction codes set in the computer or he was not able to retrieve them one or the other. If you do not like the answer don't shoot the messenger. It seems like you have been given bad information all day and perhaps are wanting to take it out on me. I'd rather you just wait until tomorrow. Otherwise I can opt out and you can take your frustrations out on someone else.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

from the beginning you gave me 3 different answers that if i would have said ok then your job would have been over and i would have been out of your hair. you are not the messenger you are supposed to be a trained expert who just throws out answers til people say ok. you see i also worked for lexus for 15 years in sales and would not have done very well if i ran my business like you do!! he hasn't seen the car yet that is why there are no codes. i told you i had only spoken to him. he has 20 years experience how about you......messenger

where is the crank positioning sensor on a 1992 Lexus sc300?

Here is my initial reply and answer to your first post:

You then proceeded to question my expertise. I don't have a problem with that people make mistakes and look things up incorrectly, last time I checked I'm not perfect. However I did inquire for more information about trouble codes and vehicle identification number to clear any miscommunication. I fail to see where I am any less of the expert for inquiring for additional information this would seem to be the prudent and professional thing to do. I never gave you three answers I gave you one specific answer. I simply replied and gave you a different picture showing you the other possible options if you were given wrong information. For example in the pictures listed above the oil pump housing with the separate crankshaft sensor is for the SC 400 which someone probably looked up incorrectly for you and told you bad information about this sensor being on your car when it does not buy your vehicle identification or even close to the year range for the SC300. If you're going to make accusations about my expertise and talent please be accurate. You were given one specific answer. The crankshaft position sensor is inside the distributor there are three sensors in that distributor they are not available separate. Once you confirm this with your personnel tomorrow you can accept and rate positively so that I can get compensated for my time. This would be greatly appreciated have a good evening.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i will let you know tomorrow. if i'm wrong i am big enough to admit it and will apologize, we will see tomorrow

Do not open up a new question simply log in and reply to this post as you have been.