john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech Ase Certified

Lexus GS300: 98 Lexus GS300 with error code P1349 VVT System

98 Lexus GS300 with error code P1349 VVT System Malfunction Bank 1. Runs great for about 30 minutes and than misses and runs rough at idle for about a minute. Then perfectly fine after that. Misses idle a various times after that. I cleaned the filter on the oil control valve and it seem to be working. Should I replace the OCV or are there other things to check?
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
Any time you have this P1349 code it means that there is a mechanical issue in the VVTI system. Typically this means that the oil control valve is either sticking mechanically or the actuator on the camshaft is sticking mechanically. The computer determines this by sending a command signal to the OCV or oil control valve to advance or retard the actuator on the end of the camshaft. It monitors this by monitoring the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. When it does not see the proper timing fluctuation it flags this code. The P 1346 code means that the computer somewhere along the line saw timing deviation between the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor.Generally this means that the timing belt is out of time. In some few cases we have seen where the protrusions on the crankshaft drive gear that send the signal through the crankshaft position sensor become chipped or nicked. This will cause an erratic pattern to be sent to the computer and can cause issues in the VVTI system

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did not get a P1346 code, just a P1349. If the timing belt is off would it only miss every 30 minutes for a few seconds? Can I check the crankshaft drive gear and if so how? What can I do to eliminate some of the possible causes? Thanks

In most cases the vvt oil control valve will need to be replaced. You will also need to check the intake cam gear to make sure it is not leaking
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the intake cam gear and how can I check it? I'll replace the oil control valve.

kits the gear at the end of the camshafts