Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics
18617752

lexus gs300: My 2006 Lexus GS 300 has a check system light

My 2006 Lexus GS 300 has a check system light on. It reads "Check VSC" and a yellow check engine light is also on. My owners manual states its the traction control. Is this something for the dealer to fix or a sensor I need to reset?
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

When the Check Engine light comes on, the VCS light is also set. This is a self-preservation mechanism, that turns these systems off, in case the reason the engine light is on can harm or effect these systems. SO- fix the reason the Engine Light is on, and the other systems will come back online.

When the Check Engine light comes on, this is the on-board computer's way of telling you it sees a problem in one of the monitored systems. Unfortunately, there are literally 100's of parts and sensors monitored in various systems, and to take a "guess" as to which part/sensor in which system is faulty, is virtually impossible. However, if you are not experiencing any drivability issues such as skipping, stalling, shifting problems, etc, then more than likely, the problem is going to lie in the EVAP (emissions) system. Very commonly, this could be a faulty, loose or missing fuel cap or even putting fuel in while the vehicle is running. Check the cap for any cracks in the rubber o-ring on the underside. Check the fuel filler neck for any signs of chips or debris. Check under the vehicle, around the area of the fuel tank and the EVAP canister looking for any vacuum lines that have dry-rot cracks, holes or loose/missing connections. If these all check out, then the best thing to do at this point is to have the "p-codes" read from the on-board computer. These p-codes are what is used as a "starting point" for the diagnosis and will tell which part/sensor in which system has the fault. There isn't a Mechanic on the planet that can tell you what is wrong with the vehicle just by "looking" at the Engine Light. Every single Mechanic's first course of action WILL be to obtain the p-codes. Once you get these p-codes you can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem and then make the repair. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). If you still need help after retrieving the codes, you can bring them here, and any of our Techs can walk you through the diagnostic procedure.

Depending on what p-code is retrieved will determine if this is a Dealer repair or not. These vehicles are known for EVAP problems and A/F Sensor (aka oxygen sensor) problems. Both of which, when faulty, will not show any drivability symptoms. Both are also so common, that many local shops can handle this, without a problem. Local shops will also save you money with parts and labor versus the dealer.
Ron Z., - Lexus Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Lexus Diagnostics