Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Lexus Expert

Lexus GS300: P1349 code on2001 Lexus GS300...replaced VVT gear,cam

P1349 code on2001 Lexus GS300...replaced VVT gear,cam seals,crank seals and valve cover gasket due to oil leak and cleaned ocv filter. Car still feels like it wants to stall and starts to run rough when I start to slow down after being driven. At one point I also got a 1346 code....Whats going on?????

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer and allowing me to help you resolve your Lexus questions!

Did you replaced the VVTI actuator on the end of the camshaft with a new Lexus or Toyota part? Are you 100% certain that you got the valve timing correct when reinstalling the timing belt ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was a Toyota part and I had a mechanic install everything ,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was a Toyota part and I had a mechanic install everything ,It was a Toyota part and I had a certified mechanic install everything
Any time you have this P1349 code it means that there is a mechanical issue in the VVTI system. Typically this means that the oil control valve is either sticking mechanically or the actuator on the camshaft is sticking mechanically. The computer determines this by sending a command signal to the OCV or oil control valve to advance or retard the actuator on the end of the camshaft. It monitors this by monitoring the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor. When it does not see the proper timing fluctuation it flags this code. The P 1346 code means that the computer somewhere along the line saw timing deviation between the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. Normally this means that the timing belt is out of time. In some few cases I have seen where the protrusions on the crankshaft drive gear that send the signal through the crankshaft position sensor become chipped or nicked. This will cause an erratic pattern to be sent to the computer and can cause issues in the VVTI system. My recommendation would be to have the mechanic go back through his work and to find out what is going on as far as the actuator sticking or possibly the timing being out of time or this crankshaft drive gear being damaged.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I replace the ocv senser?
There is no OCV sensor but there isn't OCV control valve to duty cycle solenoid valve that that's what you're referring to. Typically these never go bad. I would remove the solenoid and take a look at the plunger inside the aluminum housing and apply ground and 12 V to it to see if it snaps back and forth smoothly. My main concern would be the 1346 code because this is strictly a timing issue.