Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
2947720

Lexus: How do I check the fuel presser on a 1999 Lexus es

How do I check the fuel presser on a 1999 Lexus es 300
Category: Lexus
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. I will do my best to help you with your question.

.

.

****You have the hit happy face or a high rating for me to get paid for the answer.*****

.

.

If you need any more on it just let me know.

..

About your vehicle.

.

Specifications
Fuel pressure at idle 44 - 50 PSI
Holding pressure (5 minutes min.) 21 PSI or more

….

I have the instructions in a PDF format HERE

..

.

Thanks

.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks for that, but the car wont start. It has been starting just fine up until this morning. I want to check fuel pressure to see if it might be the pump as I do not hear any noise from the pump when I turn on the key. Can you think of any other thing that it might be?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
If you don't hear it then it may be an electrical problem. Before doing a pressure test you will want to check the fuses and also see if there is power at the relay.

.
.
Testing and Inspection
1. REMOVE RELAY BOX COVER

graphic
2. REMOVE CIRCUIT OPENING RELAY (Marking: CIR OPN)
3. INSPECT CIRCUIT OPENING RELAY CONTINUITY

graphic

1. Using an ohmmeter, check that there is continuity between terminals 1 and 2. If there is no continuity, replace the relay.
  2. Check that there is no continuity between terminals 3 and 5. If there is continuity, replace the relay.
4. INSPECT CIRCUIT OPENING RELAY OPERATION

graphic

1. Apply battery voltage across terminals 1 and 2.
  2. Using an ohmmeter, check that there is continuity between terminals 3 and 5. If there is no continuity, replace the relay.
5. REINSTALL CIRCUIT OPENING RELAY
6. REINSTALL RELAY BOX COVER

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I will try that. Thanks
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.

Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks

..

.

.

.

Thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master, 30+ years exp. former shop owner/ manager
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I rated you as excellent. What gives?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. No problem the posts may have crossed in the network. lol

Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again...I am still having problems with getting vehicle to start. I replaced the fuel pump at the owners request as he instead that it was the problem according to his sources. Well as soon as I replaced it it started right up and did so for about 5 or so starts. Then I replaced the battery with a new optima dry cell 1000 cca. when I tried to start it, it wanted to start but didn't. Then after a few more tries it didn't even try to start. After looking at the fuse box diagram that you sent me I noticed that the one in the pic does not match the one in the car. Is there another one ? I do not see cir opn anywhere on the inside of the cover.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Helloooooo are you there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you online??
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, the site was down for a bit. There should be a C/OPN relay in the under hood relay box, near the battery. If not, I'm don't know but it sounds like it may be a security issue. Is the security light on or flashing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Only when I take the key out
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
You may want to see if there are any DTC's that may indicate a security issue. There were some issues with the immobilizers on them.

.

.

INSPECT DIAGNOSIS

Using diagnosis check wire, check the DTC

1. Turn ignition switch ON .

graphic

1. Using SST; connect between terminals 8 (TE 1) and 3 (E1) of DLC 1. SST 09843-18040
  2. Read the diagnostic trouble code from malfunction indicator lamp.

HINT:

• If a diagnostic trouble code is not output, check the TC terminal circuit.
  • ECM controls the immobilizer function on this vehicle, DTC is out put with engine data.

graphic

graphic

As an example, the blinking patterns for codes; normal, 12 and 99 are shown in the illustration.

1. When DTC "99" is output, there is a trouble of immobilizer. Start troubleshooting referring to DIAGNOSIS BY SYMPTOM.
  2. After completing the check, disconnect terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) and turn off the display.
HINT: In the event of 2 or more malfunction codes, indication will begin from the smaller numbered code and continue in order to the larger.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Too complicated for me and I do not have the equipment to perform this check. Why does it start sometimes and sometimes not?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
With any electronic component, such as the security systems, they can be intermitent and sometimes work and sometimes not work. That is what it sounds like, a security issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I called the dealer and gave them the VIN and they told me that this is a GS300 not a ES300. As all the emblems have been removed the customer told me it was a ES300 and I assumed it was as well. OK now does that make any difference regarding the CIR OPN?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You might want to change this?? To: You have to hit happy face etc.

Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX check is good but there is no grammer check I guess, LOL, I will have to change that.
.

On the GS there actually is a fuel pump controller, sort of an CPU for the fuel pump. That would explain why there is ot a CIR/OPN relay in the relay box. It is however powered by the EFI main relay.

.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cool...I just went out and sprayed carb cleaner in the air duct and it started for just a few seconds. Which should I replace the efi relay or the fuel pump ecu?
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 years ago.
If anything the relay, (much cheaper) but you may want to check for power to it and maybe check the relay too.

.

graphic

1. Inspect the relay continuity.

graphic

1. Inspect the relay operation.
    1. Apply battery positive voltage across terminals 1 and 2.

Jerry, Master Mechanic